TM GE Goes On The Road With GE Fanuc Hardware and Software
Tractor Trailer Is Demo Venue for Pulp & Paper Plants Around the United States
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA, OCTOBER 2, 2008 Using an innovative approach to demonstrating high performance systems to control paper mills, TM GE has taken its show on the road. A colorful tractor trailer features a complete working system that is capable of controlling activities within a paper mill such as roll tension, and is made up of products from TM GE and GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms. The company plans stops in Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon, Western Canada, Ohio and Indiana throughout the summer, and then will move on to Quebec, Ontario and other parts of Eastern Canada in the Fall timeframe.
TM GE Automation Systems, LLC is a joint venture between General Electric, Toshiba, and Mitsubishi Electric in the industrial system drives business. The companies came together between 2000 and 2003 to create an organization that focuses on industries such as metals, paper and mining, as well as Water/Wastewater, marine propulsion and oil and gas. TM GE has a long, successful history in coordinated drive systems for the paper industry with innovative design and testing processes, coupled with world-class technology.
"We have found that demonstrating the actual system provides potential users with a different kind of experience than they would normally have if they were investigating a new plant solution," said Darren Honaker, Application Engineer – Paper Industry, for TM GE who goes on the road with the system. "Because we bring the truck to the plant, it is very easy for decision makers to see what we can do without any real time off the floor."
"Performance is critical in industries such as metals, paper, and mining," said Bill Estep, Vice President of GE Fanuc’s Controllers Systems Business. "Not only is the machinery moving at incredible speeds, the amount of information that has to be passed between the systems is extraordinary. The high performance of the Exit, with world class speeds and functionality, coupled with our award winning Proficy* software, allows companies to gather and use data, control production systems, and achieve levels ever greater levels of productivity in order to produce revenue. "
Some of the software and equipment that will be available for demonstration in the trailer include:
- Proficy HMI/SCADA CIMPLICITY: CIMPLICITY HMI is a client/server based visualization and control solution that provides process visualization, data acquisition and supervisory control over manufacturing environments. The result is a solid and reliable data foundation for digitized production management. With CIMPLICITY HMI, operators and engineers have the power and security to precisely monitor and control every aspect of their manufacturing environment, equipment and resources.
- Proficy View - Machine Edition: Machine control OEMs and other process control manufacturers require unique HMI applications features in order to compete in today's global market place. Proficy View - Machine Edition is quick and easy to configure, offering a wide range of functions that support web client/server and multi-language, all right at the machine-level operator interface. Along with other run-time and expansion capabilities, its networking features give you many connection options.
- PACSystems RX7i: PACSystems RX7i, like the other PACSystems, has a single control engine and universal programming to create a seamless migration path and deliver a true convergence of control choices. Yet, it also addresses mid-to high-end applications, with large memory and bandwidth and distributed I/O to handle all major system requirements.
- QuickPanel Operator Interface: QuickPanel series offer incredible versatility, easily connecting to all major PLCs and networks and can fit any where in your system. These compact, slim profile interfaces, available in a range of display sizes, replace numerous discrete components such as push buttons, pilot lights and message displays.
- VersaMax I/O: As a universal I/O, VersaMax gives users the freedom to connect to a variety of host controllers, including PLCs, DCS, and PC control systems. With its low cost compact design, modular and scalable architecture and intuitive easy to use features, users can dramatically improve operating performance while saving time and money.
- TMdrive-10: TM GE’s TM-10 family of low-voltage system AC drives has been designed to lower your cost of ownership with numerous space-saving and maintenance features. Embedded heat pipe technology provides power bridge cooling for extended life and quiet operation. All drives use the reliable and powerful Toolbox Software.
- TMdrive-DC: TM GE offers a complete family of new DC drives for mill modernization where the original DC motors will be re-used. These DC drives are compatible with all of the TMdrive family using the same LAN, I/O interface, keypads and Toolbox Software.
- TMdrive-DC DFE: The TM-DC DFE (Digital Front End) provides a path to upgrade existing DC drives while reducing the total installed cost of the upgrade. The TM-DC DFE replaces the existing control with the latest high performance digital control and high speed communications.
- Innovation Series Controller: This VME-rack-based family of controller provides high-performance control functions and numerous LAN options to provide seamless integration with the rest of your plant. It is configured with the Toolbox software that supports the TMdrive family of products.
"The partnership between GE Fanuc and TM GE Automation Systems provides our customers with the most reliable and configurable systems in the industry," said Donn Samsa, Manager of TM GE Automation Systems North American Business Unit.
About GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms
GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms, a joint venture between General Electric (NYSE: GE) and FANUC LTD of Japan, is a high-performance technology company and a global provider of hardware, software, services, expertise and experience in automation and embedded computing, with products employed in virtually every industry, including manufacturing automation, defense, automotive, telecommunications, healthcare and aerospace. GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms is a worldwide company headquartered in Charlottesville, VA and is part of GE Enterprise Solutions. For more information, visit www.gefanuc.com.
About GE Enterprise Solutions
GE Enterprise Solutions elevates customers' productivity and profitability with integrated solutions using sensors and non-destructive testing; security and life safety technologies; power system protection and control; and plant automation and embedded computing systems. Enterprise Solutions' high-tech, high-growth businesses include Sensing & Inspection Technologies, Security, Digital Energy, and GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms. The business has 17,000 problem-solving employees in more than 60 countries around the world.