Top 10 Reasons to Use PROFINET
As the Industrial Internet continues to transform the way people service and maintain industry equipment, medical devices and other machines, PROFINET is playing a vital role in moving data.
In a previous post, PROFINET for Network Geeks (and Those Who Want to Be), I discuss the features that set PROFINET apart from other Industrial Ethernets. To expand on that, I have created a comprehensive list of reasons to choose PROFINET; showing great restraint, I’ve accepted the challenge to limit those reasons to ten. This is Top 10 Tuesday, after all.
- PROFINET is industrial. PROFINET was designed from the ground up for industrial use. This is unlike an Industrial Ethernet that just wrapped their old message up in a TCP/IP wrapper and called it an Industrial Ethernet. It’s unlike another Industrial Ethernet that limited their design to using office Ethernet techniques. PROFINET was designed from the ground up to be fast, deterministic, and robust; that is, industrial.
- With no limitations in the spec on the number of nodes that you can use, PROFINET is scalable. And you can scale it from factory automation to process automation to motion control.
- It is a complete Ethernet option. The PROFINET spec has been finished for over two years now—it’s stable (complete).It’s also complete in its depth of features: functional safety, energy management, comprehensive diagnostics, and more.
- PROFINET is an open platform. It was created by and is owned by PROFIBUS and PROFINET International, a consortium, but you don’t have to be a member to develop or use PROFINET products. With this Industrial Ethernet, you don’t have to sign a contract to develop products.
- PROFINET is fast. How fast is it? Fast enough for any requirement. It can easily achieve the 100-millisecond needs of process instruments, the 10-milliscond needs of factory automation, and the 1-millisecond need of motion control. It can even achieve 31.25 microsecond cycle times.
- PROFINET is flexible option for your project, allowing for incorporation of other protocols when needed. For example, if you need to include some process instruments in an explosive atmosphere where no Industrial Ethernet can go, use PROFIBUS PA and integrate it with PROFINET using a proxy.
- Building on the familiar concepts of PROFIBUS, configuration with PROFINET is easy. By using standard Ethernet protocols like LLDP, topology information can be extracted from a working system and alarmed if it changes unexpectedly. And, amazingly easy, is simple device replacement. It allows a device to be replaced without setting any hardware switches and without dragging out a computer to set anything using software. Just physically replace the device, and you’re done.
- PROFINET runs on plain old Ethernet – Standard Unmodified Ethernet. The PROFINET Ethernet frames are plain old Ethernet frames.
- PROFINET offers efficiency. How much does downtime cost in your facility? With comprehensive diagnostics, PROFINET allows you to quickly recover from unplanned shutdowns by continuously monitoring key parameters, preventing unplanned downtime! That’s efficient.
- The platform is effective. Just one technology on one cable covers factory, process and discrete automation.