Top 10 Questions to Ask Regarding HMI/SCADA Risk
Here are 10 questions to ask yourself regarding HMI/SCADA systems and risk. The questions are not in any particular order, and there are many more questions that we could include. So, let’s use these to start the discussion …
- Are you running your application with non-default / non-Administrator accounts with low privileges?
- Are you properly isolating (DMZ) servers from untrusted network access?
- Is your system missing any security patches?
- Are you using obsolete software (Windows XP or other)?
- Do you have spare parts, and when were they last tested?
- Are you using the most up-to-date version of your software?
- Have you removed ADMIN and GUEST default accounts, using a separate administrator account?
- Have you put additional controls in place to protect the HMI/SCADA security files from change?
- Have you changed the default password for Trusted Network Computing?
- Do you have a backup plan in place?
The reality – this is a simple list for a complex topic. To minimize risk, meet with an expert to assess your system, review your backup plan, and confirm that you’re implementing HMI/SCADA best practices. Take action now before unplanned downtime or disaster.
You can register for free risk assessment tools and information of your HMI/SCADA system, complimentary from GE and partners. The assessment tools can enable you to identify and prioritize areas of concern. We’re committed to helping you take action. And, fortunately, there’s no risk in reaching out.