Another Way to Beat the Bad Guys: 3 Steps to Perfect Patching
Have you been putting off software patches? Don’t procrastinate! Software companies develop and release patches because they are important to the user community and the health of your systems. In our continuing series on Minimizing HMI/SCADA Risk, here are some nuggets from our upcoming webinar.
According to GE’s experts on security, you can ease patching by planning for it carefully. Organizing your planning into three steps can help.
Step 1: Prepare
• Establish change windows for all assets
• Invest in test environments, redundancy & failover
• Stay on a supported version of a product
Step 2: Evaluate
• Am I using the product or component?
• How critical is the vulnerability?
• How likely is an exploit?
• Is the vulnerability exposed?
• What compensating controls are in place?
• How critical is the asset being patched?
Step 3: Apply
• Timing: patch any time or wait for the window?
• Testing: establish levels of functional testing, including “pilot” groups of assets
There’s a lot more to learn about how to minimize HMI/SCADA risk — and take steps before disaster occurs. Click here to register and take just one hour for our important webinar on October 16th: Decrease Your HMI/SCADA Risk: Key steps to minimize unplanned downtime and protect your organization.